Konami has been on a roll lately with classic releases, between Castlevania compilations, a sweet Contra collection, and this year’s release of various Ninja Turtles titles in the Cowabunga Collection. Now it’s really going next level, bringing back a role-playing series that hasn’t been seen in years.
During Tokyo Game Show this weekend, the company revealed Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars, which will arrive for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam) in 2023. The trailer is below, and here are more details about the game.
The Story of Suikoden I
A once renowned hero turns into a violent tyrant, and an empire falls into decline.
A Liberation Army is rising up in an act of rebellion against an oppressive rule.
One by one the 108 stars of Destiny gather to shape the course of history.
The Story of Suikoden II
Our story’s hero and his friend Jowy are members of the Unicorn Youth Brigade, which participated in a drawn-out border dispute between the Highland Kingdom and the City-States of Jowstown.
A few months earlier, a truth agreement was signed between the two forces, both of which were happy to see an end to the fighting.
However, hidden under the momentary peace the fires of a new war continued to smolder…
- Pixel sprites and environment art enhanced with new screen effects including lighting, clouds, and shadow animations Flickering flames, smoldering smoke, the movement of leaves and insects, all add up to a lively in-game atmosphere!
- The effects and direction have been redesigned, bringing memorable scenes back to life in more beautiful ways!
New Character Drawings
- All character portraits have been updated in HD. Junko Kawano, who designed the characters for the original version of Suikoden released in 1995, has newly re-drawn all the character portraits for Suikoden I HD Remaster: Gate Rune War.
- Field Sound – A large number of environmental sounds not found in the original version, such as the sound of running water in the river, wind, insects, and running footsteps, have been added. You can enjoy an immersive experience like never before!
- Battle Sound – All sound effects are now in HD. In addition to the impact of the 3D effects, the realistic sound greatly enhances the dynamism of the battles!
Game System Improvements
- Many new features have been added, such as dialogue log, auto-battle,
double-speed battles, etc.
Needless to say, there’s a lot to be excited for. And who knows, if it sells well enough, we might just get a Suikoden 6 some day. Fingers crossed!
We’re giving away a game console of your choice! Find out how to win here.