Thus far, game consoles have gotten a considerable number of classic games, thanks to releases from Hamster and SNK, among others. Now, City Connection is getting in on the action with a bevy of hits that originated during the days of the Sega Saturn!
The company announced during a recent shmup live-stream in Japan that several Taito arcade/Saturn favorites are coming to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC, all in digital form. The first game, Layer Section & Galactic Attack S-Tribute, will arrive on April 28th in digital shops in Japan. Aside from that, the following releases will follow in the months ahead:
- Puzzle Bobble 2X and Puzzle Bobble 3 (package)
- Elevator Action Returns
- Metal Black
- Cleopatra’s Fortune
More games could follow as well, including rumored ports of Raystorm and Raycrisis. For now, though, these are the only official titles.
Out of all of these, Elevator Action Returns may be the cult favorite of the group. Initially released in the 90s, this six-stage action game differs greatly from the arcade original, but is still undeniably fun. And Saturn fans have been enjoying it overseas for some time, as well as anyone that picked up Taito Legends 2 for PlayStation 2. Pricing hasn’t been revealed yet, but hopefully we’ll learn more closer to the end of this month. We’re betting on $15-$20 per game.
The following options will be included in each game as well!
- Rewind – Rewind gameplay a by certain amount of time and resume.
- Slow Mode – Slow game pace down with a single button press.
- Quick Save/Load – Save game state at any point. Up to three slots available.
- Stage Selection – Play your favorite stages with your favorite settings.
- Expanded Rapid-Fire Settings – Rapid-firing can now go faster than the original home console version (15/second -> 30/second).
- Coin Credits – Insert up to 99 credits and play at leisure without worrying about continues.
- Change Difficulty Increase Settings – Play at a constant minimum or maximum difficulty, which increases when certain conditions are met.
- Screen Orientation – For arcade mode. Optimized for portrait screen orientation.
- Scan Lines – Mimics the nostalgic CRT monitor display.
- Online Ranking – Switch to online ranking mode in settings to enter your score into the online leaderboards and check how you compare with others.
We’re giving away a game console of your choice! Find out how to win here.